You lost the weight, bought the new clothes and now it’s time to maintain your fitness. In order to do that you have to think of things differently now. We went to WebMD to see what they had to say. In an interview with Dr. Scott Kahan, Director of the National Center for Weight & Wellness, he offered WebMD the following tips from people who have been successful to help you maintain your fitness.
1) They Do It For Themselves: In this busy world its easy to lose sight of what is really important. People who are successful in maintaining their fitness level take the time to eat right, exercise, spend time with family, vacation and get adequate sleep. It’s not always easy, but it is important.
2) They Prize Exercise: Let’s face it: Sometimes going to the gym is the last thing you want to do in your busy day. It is also possibly the most important. To maintain your fitness, exercise is a must.
3) They Get Their Baggage In Check: Many people turn to food when they are stressed. If that’s you, learning new ways to handle your emotions is a must. Yoga, extra cardio, maybe even shooting some hoops can all be great ways to work out that frustration without giving into the empty calorie temptation.
4) They Don’t Go It Alone: If you’re a “Lone Wolf”, It’s time to join a pack. Teaming up with friends, family, co-workers or just a gym buddy helps you maintain your gym schedule. Knowing someone is expecting your presence helps you stay accountable.
5) They Limit Their Screen Time: Whether it’s your phone, tablet, computer or TV; Screen time tends to be idle time. Give yourself a curfew and stick to it.
6) They Step On The Scale Often: Most people in the weight loss registry weigh themselves regularly. In fact, research shows that getting on the scale daily is a very effective strategy for those trying to maintain weight loss.
7) They Eat Breakfast: Nearly 80% of people in the National Weight Control Registry report that they eat breakfast daily. Mom always said it was the most important meal of the day, looks like she was right.
8) They Favor Fiber: Make your diet rich in fiber, you get it from plant foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts and legumes. Fiber helps you feel full, so you are less likely to overeat later.
9) They Keep Getting Back On The Wagon: Vacations, holidays and stressful life situations happen, and no one eats according to plan all the time. That’s ok! The trick is to get back on course as soon as possible.
I myself am in the “Maintaining Mode” of my weight loss journey and have adopted a couple of the ideas printed above. The trick for me is looking back at myself before I started getting healthy and…I don’t want to be that person again. I have to focus everyday but its worth it to me, so worth it in fact that I hardly even notice it half the time. My advice to you is love who you are enough to MAINTAIN YOUR FITNESS!