You finally have your “Fitness Epiphany”, get focused, find utter determination, start losing weight, feeling better and BAM! You seem to hit a wall. No matter what you do, what you eat, or how many more classes you add to your fitness program you just can’t make the scales budge! Well you’ll be glad to know…this is completely normal. A weight loss plateau is to be expected. The trick is to not let it discourage you and derail you from your new lifestyle.
There are a number of things you can do to overcome your weight loss plateau, ways to trick your mind and jump start your system. Below are 3 facts (given by builtlean.com) to keep in mind.
1) Our bodies are resistant to change. A large chunk of people who reach their ideal weight have experienced as many as 2-3 plateaus lasting several weeks.
2) The more weight you loss, the more loss slows. It inherently slows down the leaner you become.
3) Losing weight becomes harder the closer you get to your ideal weight. Not only does the pace of weight loss slow down, but your body will work harder to hold on to your fat stores the leaner you become.
Builtlean.com also listed several tips that if added to your fitness program could give you the results you are seeking to break your weight loss plateau.
1) Re-evaluate your calorie intake – Make sure you are eating less calories then you are burning.
2) Control the “Calorie Creep” – Simply…eating more calories than you think you are. These come from eating out at restaurants, using condiments, alcohol and not watching your serving size.
3) Progress your body, don’t confuse it – While nutrition is likely the culprit for the stall in your weight, making sure you are progressing the intensity of your workouts can only help improve your results.
There are all kinds of tricks and strategies to fight a weight loss plateau,but the most important thing to remember…DON’T GIVE UP!!! Come visit us at the Valley Connection YMCA for more advice and strong encouragement.