Fall is in the air! The kids are back in school. Schedules are becoming that much more hectic. Don’t let any of these factors stop you from remaining active heading deeper into the Fall months. Because we know that healthy lifestyles are achieved through nurturing mind, body and spirit, well-being and fitness at the Y includes more than just working out. Here are 5 tips to get in a back-to-school fitness routine:
1. Dedicate time every day- When forming new habits and recognizing how to fit them in to a busy schedule, it’s crucial to dedicate time every single day to your fitness routine. Even when schedules become crazy with the back-to-school drama, your fitness routine doesn’t have to become one of them.
2. Manage your stress levels- We know how difficult it can be to manage stress levels in the middle of a hectic school week. Here are some recommendations to try: try a group fitness class, yoga, water aerobics, come swim laps, rest in the hot tub, walk laps. Make a point to pick something and do it at least 30 minutes every day.
3. Get lots of sleep- Sleep is not an option, sleep in now a priority. Sleep is an essential part to your day before it even starts. Make sure you are getting an adequate amount of rest before starting your busy day.
4. Play with the kids- Get that little extra bit of energy and play with the kids. Take them for a walk after school, to swim after dinner, anything to help their day unwind as well. It will make you both feel better in the process. When trying to stay on track with your fitness routine, it’s important to let your kids see that as well.
5. Set goals and reward yourself- Setting a goal is important, it gives you something to work for. If you have goals, rather then none at all, then you are more likely to reach them. Don’t try to go big from the start, start small. Try something as small as dedicating 30 minutes 3 times a week to a fitness routine, and eventually move it to 5. Make sure to reward yourself with each goal achieved.
We are dedicated to helping you achieve your back-to-school fitness routines, for more information click here!