Taking Action, Changing Odds
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a small-group program developed and established in partnership with the LIVESTRONG Foundation, assists those who are living with, through, or beyond cancer to strengthen their spirit, mind and body. Recent research from the Yale Cancer Center and Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Institute confirmed that LIVESTRONG at the YMCA participants experience improved fitness and quality of life as well as significant decreases in cancer-related fatigue.
The program has served more than 30,000 cancer survivors in more than 400 communities across the nation. It is open to adults 18 years or older at low or no cost.
- 12-week program with two 75-90-minute sessions per week
- Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Evaluation includes fitness and quality of life assessments before and after participation
- Facilitated by YMCA-certified instructors
- Requires referral and medical clearance from a physician
- To learn more about LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, contact us here
Criteria For Participation
- Ask your physician to complete the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA referral form. Consult your oncologist or a hospital oncology representative before joining the program.
- Enroll in the program by phone, email or visiting the Y.
- Commit to attending 80% of the classes
- Give permission for a YMCA representative to contact your physician or health care provider, if necessary
YMCA staff trained